dinsdag 3 augustus 2010

fragmented shelfcloud

In the early evening of the first day of august 2010 I observed a nice fragmented shelfcloud.


A SE-NW moving thunderstorm complex with highest radar reflectivities at the front approached the Tirgu Mures area. Since winds at all levels of the atmosphere were low, rather slow moving thunderstorms were the result.


At first sight it seemed a solid shelfcloud was approaching, but when it came closer from the east, it was clearly fragmented. Nonetheless, the clouds I observed were nice to watch:





















This was a bit better than all the airmass thunderstorms from the last two weeks. In an environment of moderate instability and low vertical windshear this is the best you can get, I guess. Also I think I was just lucky to be in the right place, since the outflow moved away from the thunderstorm-complex, which couldn't organize well because of the petty shear.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten